Friday, October 22, 2010

Harvest


Day 9: My talents as a gardener are limited to growing flowers, and I use the word "limited" advisedly. I grow what will grow. What will not grow will not be attempted a second time. The exception to that is my occasional foray into the cultivation of vegetables. It is never successful beyond cherry tomatoes, and yet I persist. Many times, I have tried to grow gourds, hoping that they might lie somewhere in limbo between "ornamental plant" and "squash." I have occasionally had a few fist-sized fruits appear, but have never had one fully mature. Frustrated, I have not been able to convince myself to spend money on the frivolity of inedible vegetables until now.

You see, I've wanted to make an Autumn "greeting card" shot for some time, something with warm colors and slanting sunlight depicting my most favorite season. I am happy to present here a selection of store-bought gourds and Indian corn, augmented by "home-grown" leaves from the maples behind the mailbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment