Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Crow-Motion Photography


Day 28: A radical departure from my customary photographic style, this image was inspired by a submission to the Daily Shoot made by One Stop Short entitled, "The Wing." I came to appreciate disfocus more as I viewed that image, something I had heretofore eschewed as bad photography almost without exception. Old dogs can learn new tricks, although sometimes it takes whacking them upside the head with a metaphorical two-by-four to make the point.

Cousin Fred here had been perched contentedly in the top of a favored tree until I went out the door with his breakfast, camera slung around my neck. I thought to get a portrait or a profile before heading back inside, but as soon as he saw the meal I'd laid out, he launched headlong toward it, rewarding me with this abstract view of perfect downbeat wings.

Crows often guide me, both literally and symbolically. Fred, bless his buttons, taught an excellent seminar on motion-blur photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment