Monday, November 8, 2010

Phenology


Day 26: Phenology is defined as the study of the relation between climate and periodic biological phenomena. For some time, I have been participating in the USGS Bird Phenology Program as a transcriptionist, entering for posterity in cyberspace meticulous observation data which was recorded from approximately 1750 to present by ornithologists whose names may or may not now be household words. Over six million cards of field notes have been in storage, faded and often illegible, waiting for volunteers like myself to enter them into a master database where they will be analyzed to establish changes in migratory patterns as they relate to global climate shifts.

Today, I received in the mail a somewhat unexpected package. I say "somewhat" because the program's coordinator sent me an email last week saying something was on its way to all volunteers who had transcribed over 5000 cards, a thank-you for the hours these people had put in. I had no idea what might be in the box, so when it arrived, I ripped into it like a kid on Christmas morning. To my delight, I found a matching set of coffee mug, mouse pad and fridge magnet bearing the logo of the program, as well as a pen and a letter of appreciation.

If you'd like to know more about the program or would like to participate in this valuable and on-going project, please visit
www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bpp/index.cfm

No comments:

Post a Comment