Thursday, November 25, 2010

Raven Himself


Day 43: Raven, the iconic figure of Native American legend in my area and a personal friend of mine, stopped by with a companion for a Thanksgiving dinner of dry dog food. The two engaged in much beak-touching and allopreening as I watched, possibly a mated pair or maybe siblings. Ravens mate for life, and offspring may remain with the parents for a year or two, learning to care for the next brood under the guidance of the adults.

This majestic, intelligent, wary creature is among the most difficult to capture in a detailed image. The slightest glint off a lens will send him off to the top of the tallest tree, the least motion on the part of the photographer likewise. Perhaps he couldn't see me kneeling in the kitchen doorway, his vision obscured by blowing snow, or perhaps he decided to favor me this once. I prefer to think the latter.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice portrait! I grew up in the interior of Alaska where ravens are both appreciated and reviled - but I never realized that they train their offspring that way. I love the information you share!

    This is just an awesome shot - not only the detailed portrait, but the falling snow and the snow on his beak - it just feels cold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Elli! Ravens are absolutely amazing! You should read two wonderful books by Bernd Heinrich called "Ravens In Winter" and "Mind Of The Raven." He researched them in Maine.

    ReplyDelete