Sunday, December 5, 2010

Without Spritz, It's Not Christmas


Day 53: For me, the holiday season begins with St. Nicholas Day. In my family, St. Nicholas paid his visit during the evening of the 6th some time after dark but before my bedtime. It upset me somewhat that my daddy had just excused himself to go get a cup of coffee and was therefore out of the room when I heard the audible "Thunk!" which meant St. Nick had thrown the traditional bag of candy and cookies in through the front door. It bothered me to think that Daddy was missing out on the experience, not because I suspected him of collusion with the saint.

In remembrance of those days, I now make cookies on or near St. Nicholas' feast, nearly always beginning my baking with spritz. Without spritz, it's not Christmas. Let me forego turkey and dressing, but do not deprive me of these buttery little jewels so gaily crusted in glittering sugar crystals!

No comments:

Post a Comment