Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Burning Of Incense


Day 85: The burning of incense or aromatic plant material ceremonially is widespread, occurring in many cultures. Originally employed to mask unpleasant odors, the practice was also believed to ward off evil spirits which caused disease and suffering. Even today, incense is used ritually throughout the world.

This antique incense burner is made of heavy, cast copper, a fact I discovered only after it came into my possession when my mother passed away. It was sticky with resins from myrrh which she placed on specially designed charcoal disks, there to be melted rather than ignited as many other forms of incense are. The burner was almost black when it came into my hands, and so gummy that the lid stuck to the base. A variety of different degreasers and solvents eventually revealed the dark copper tones of the metal. Of its history, I know very little. I believe she may have purchased it in San Francisco's Chinatown prior to the Second World War.

Her tastes in incense ran to the heavily perfumed sticks from India as well as the myrrh. Mine are for the aromatic scents of cedar, piƱon and fir, in keeping with my love of the Pacific Northwest and its forests, and respect for the ways of the First People here. After all, there's a lot to be said for cultural exchange.

1 comment: