Friday, January 28, 2011

Bushtit


Day 107: Psaltriparius minimus (Common Bushtit) is a tiny little round bird who loves hanging out in open woodlands where there is a lot a brush. Normally a fast-moving grey blur is all you'll catch at the tail of your eye when you're in their territory, so I was surprised when this one zipped across the trail in front of me and lighted behind the protection of crossed blackberry vines. At first I thought he might have been injured, but as I watched him through the lens, I realized he was only newly fledged, a baby not quite sure of his wings. He's a little early. Bushtits normally breed in February here, but he was fully capable of flight, as I discovered when I tried to edge closer. With a single "Tzzeeek!" he dived into brush, following the call of mom from deep within the tangle.

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous capture of this cute little guy!! And, as always, I appreciate the short lesson. It just occurred to me to use your posts as science lessons for my homeschooled Kindergartner - I bet he'd love that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Elli! I would be honored to provide part of your child's homeschooling! Very honored!

    ReplyDelete