Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Fascinating Fungi


Day 104: On a rainy day a few weeks ago, I discovered a newly-developed trail system within a nature area administered by Cowlitz Wildlife. I was not prepared for a hike that day, although a brief walk of a few hundred yards provided me with a photo of Tremella mesenterica (see Day 75, please). Today, I went back for a further exploration and, much to my delight, discovered these two specimens.

The top image shows a Clavariadelphus species I have not been able to locate in any reference material. It is possible that the coloration is due to its age, however, it felt fresh. The fruiting body was approximately three inches long, white near the base.

The bottom photo shows easily identifiable Sarcoscypha coccinia, also known as Scarlet Cup. The ear-shaped specimen measured approximately one inch across the long dimension.

No comments:

Post a Comment