Thursday, February 3, 2011

Crow On The Beach


Day 113: Whether I wanted to go or not, I had to make a trip down to Flatland today to have an MRI done on my knee. I've been stumping around on it for the last four months, hiking anything up to twelve miles and simply being cautious about how I placed my weight on it. But last week when I had trouble getting up my own front steps (all three of them), I decided I'd waited long enough for Nature to take its course. I made an appointment with my doctor and subsequently scheduled the MRI.

Well, as long as I was in Flatland, I decided I'd visit the beach, i.e., Tolmie State Park on Puget Sound. I am more of a mountain person than a seashore type, and the last time I'd been on this particular beach, I'd been digging butter clams among the rocks. Cold as the day was, walking the shoreline brought back a few fond memories.

As I strolled along, a couple of my corvid cousins came strutting up to walk along with me, friendly fellows these, and not particularly wary of a stranger in their midst. I waited for this one to get in a "shiny" place so I could wash out the grey sand as I brought out the detail in his feathers with the camera. Nice to have such a willing model!

Not long after I got home, I got "the call" from my doctor's office. They'd received the results of the MRI and it was as expected. I have a torn meniscus which will require surgical repair. Damn.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your knee. I'm sure that's a real disappointment for someone as active as yourself. Keep your "followers" posted on how you're doing - I'm sure I'm not the only one (here or on Flickr) who wants to encourage you.

    Great shot of your friend here! It almost looks as if he was offering you his "good side."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Elli! From what my doc predicted when he first looked at it, I shouldn't be laid up for too long. At least it's not right in the middle of good hiking weather!

    ReplyDelete