Friday, February 18, 2011

Never Enough Socks


Day 128: A hiker never has enough socks, and there is nothing quite like the luxury of slipping into brightly colored, hand-knit wool tootsie-warmers even when you're sitting around the campfires of Home.

Sock-making has always been one of my favorite needlearts and is not as complicated as many people believe it to be. Manipulating four or five needles is only a little different from managing two. It is easier to effect in the Continental style than in the English way of holding the needles (at least in my opinion), but with practice at working close to the needle points, the transition between sections will not leave "ladders" between stitches. Making the heel flap is simple, and you can turn the heel with a gusset as easily as decreasing for a raglan sleeve. Socks are quick to make and therefore very rewarding. Best of all, you can always display those bright colors you know you love with the excuse, "Oh, I made these!"

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I love them! I don't have any trouble with 4 or 5 needles either - except that sock needles are too small for my arthritis. :-( But I just might have to do it anyway...the sock yarns are just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete