Monday, March 7, 2011

Ready To Tie One On


Day 145: As soon as trout season opens in beaver ponds and streams, I am ready to tie one on. Unfortunately, I have to wait until June 1 for this momentous occasion, and even then, the waters I enjoy fishing will probably be too cold for the fish to be actively feeding. For a while, I may resort to catching hatchery-raised "cuttbows" (a rainbow/cutthroat hybrid) just to keep my casting arm limber, but I am truly looking forward to hitting a few secret spots later on in the season. Although I am primarily a catch-and-release angler, there are times when pan-fried brook trout are a lure I simply cannot resist.

"There are thousands of places to fish and we, after all, are fishermen. Therefore, life is good."
~John Gierach, in "Standing In A River Waving A Stick"

"The charm of fly-fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
~John Buchan

No comments:

Post a Comment