Saturday, April 16, 2011

Dad's Puzzler And Solution


Day 185. Nowadays, you can find the solution to this simple puzzle in many places on line if you know where to look. "Simple," did I say? It is not as simple as it appears to be, not by a long shot! In fact, when "Dad's Puzzler" came into my hands, my mother had already spent many hours of her life attempting to solve it to no avail, as did I once I had it in my possession.

The puzzle belonged to my grandfather in his youth, and whether or not the packaging originally contained a solution is anyone's guess. After many frustrating attempts over a long period of years, I began searching libraries for a means to solve it, but could only find simpler versions with more moving parts. I'd work on it for a week or two, only to wind up stuffing it back in the drawer unsolved.

Then one fortuitous day, a copy of Scientific American arrived in my mailbox and I turned to Martin Gardner's wonderful "Mathematical Games" section first thing. There, to my surprise, was "Dad's Puzzler" and its solution. So elated was I that I recreated the magazine page with an Apple ][e, printed it out on a 9-pin dot-matrix printer and stashed it away in the box with the puzzle for safekeeping.

Should any of my readers feel inspired to construct one of these old-fashioned frivolities, I hope they will attempt to solve it unaided before turning to the printout. Believe me, it's cheaper than a movie and will keep you busy for much, much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment