Saturday, April 2, 2011

Spring Fling


Day 171: In any other year, I'd have mail-ordered my spring seeds from Park Seed in January, but with a painful knee, I could not seem to force myself into a gardening mood. Plants such as my favorite gazanias need starting indoors eight to ten weeks before last frost. When April rolled around, I still hadn't ordered and in any event, it was too late to break out the Jiffy-7s and starting mix. Time to shift to Alternate Plan B!

This year's garden will be the product, quite literally, of a Spring Fling. The seeds in these packets are meant to be broadcast, a "scatter garden" of assorted wildflowers and hardy, self-sowing annuals, including Bachelor's Buttons, Tidy Tips, Chinese Lanterns, Strawflowers and native species in red and blue shades. It's a lazy garden, but it promises to be a colorful one.

No comments:

Post a Comment