Sunday, May 1, 2011

Bleeding Hearts, Dicentra


Day 200: Today was such a lovely day that I decided I'd go explore a gated logging road which had been tempting me for some time. My goal was the summit of Dog Mountain, a peak which sounds more impressive than it is, although the road climbs rather steeply, gaining 1300' of elevation between parking and the summit. It is a popular spot for hang-glider enthusiasts who wish to launch themselves onto the updrafts arising from Riffe Lake. Thank you, I prefer Shank's Mare. After attaining the summit, I meandered down another spur road into a clearcut, a parched and open area exposed to full sun. What did I find there? Oddly, I found Bleeding Hearts.

This plant is normally a denizen of shady, moist areas. I was baffled. I walked a bit farther on and discovered...a clump of daffodils. Were both species the vestiges of a pioneer home's garden? Surely that must be the case. No other reason can justify either plant's presence on a dry mountaintop. From this pleasurable walk, I have brought home a mystery. One never knows what one may find down the road less travelled.

1 comment:

  1. I love bleeding hearts. I was really hoping to get some interesting photos this year, but my mom's and my neighbor's came up and were growing fabulously until we had a night in the low 20's. All the plants look like they had weed killer sprayed on them. :-( This one looks lovely though!

    ReplyDelete