Saturday, May 28, 2011

In Memory Of Daddy


Day 227: My father passed away at the age of 39, of health complications which came about as a result of the conditions he endured during four years as a Prisoner of War in Manchuria. His favorite flower was the Peony, his favorite color the bright red shade shown here. It is circumstantial that the Peonies come into flower near Memorial Day in the United States, but were I closer to the spot where he is buried, I would lay each and every bud upon his grave.

2 comments:

  1. Four years as a prisoner of war. That is true heroism. Serving his country and ultimately giving his life as a result of his service - he's the kind of man I've been telling my children about. The reason we observe Memorial Day, and the reason we have the freedom and pleasures we have. I am so thankful for your father and the other heroes who have continued to keep our freedom secure. If I could, I would lay peonies on his grave also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Elli. I was only nine when he died. The hole in my life very nearly swallowed me. No child should have to grow up without both parents, and no person should make war on another.

    ReplyDelete