Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Foxy Lady


Day 286: Although my intent was to never feature any species of plant or critter more than once in 365 Caws, this young female fox begged for an exception. I spotted her today near Reflection Lake (Mt. Rainier National Park), sauntering down the center line as if she owned the road. Visitors were already pulling over to photograph her, so I pretended I was a tourist and joined the crowd.

Miss Foxy was hoping for handouts. I was hoping no visitor would offer her one. Feeding wildlife can be dangerous, not only to the humans involved but to the overall long-term health of the animal or bird. Fortunately, no one gave her a tidbit, but it was obvious that she was used to playing to a crowd. She came within six feet of me as I stood beside the car and only moved off when I spoke to her.

Another silver-phase Red Fox was featured on Day 260. The coloration is normal for Vulpes vulpes in this area and does not change at any time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment