Saturday, July 9, 2011

Gaillardia In The Garden


Day 269: I am a poor gardener at best, but by planting species which will thrive despite my customary neglect, I am occasionally rewarded with flowers. Gaillardias, in particular "Arizona Sunshine," have proved to be tolerant and durable. Started from seed casually raked into the soil at the beginning of May, they are now starting their blooming cycle. They're rather lonely, surrounded by more bare ground than is justifiable for the number of wildflower seeds broadcast in the same bed. In fact, I see nothing but a few Bachelor's Buttons sprouting up, and a handful of Marigolds which I don't recall sowing. Gaillardias! Never was a plant more determined to bring its color to your garden...unless, of course, you count the weeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment