Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Centaurium Umbellatum, Common Centaury


Day 308: For all of this pretty little plant's nomenclature, Common Centaury was not so common that I knew what it was when observing it for the first time a few years ago. In fact, it was previously so uncommon that most field guides omitted it. After failing to find it listed in any of the volumes on my proverbial "five-foot bookshelf," I resorted to contacting an expert who provided me with the identification. Since that time, I have seen it spread rather prodigiously in Charles L. Pack Experimental Forest where this specimen was photographed near the summit of Hugo Peak. It is a member of the same family as Gentians, and its florets exhibit the same habit of spiralling closed when nightfall or bad weather approaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment