Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Gilia Capitata, Globe Gilia


Day 301: Although Gilia capitata is native to western Washington, this particular specimen came to me courtesy of a packet of wildflower seeds in blue shades. It is a prairie plant, preferring an open habitat and dry soil, i.e., perfect for my Neglected Garden.

The Neglected Garden is my answer to landscaping. I will broadcast seed, or plant starts or bulbs of just about any species to test its survival capabilities. If it thrives on what little water I remember to give it, if it doesn't beg for fertilizer or deadheading, if it blooms and goes to seed, it is allowed to remain and flourish as it so desires. Tough as nails these delicate little flowers must be, weathering whatever Nature and the gardener hand them. One must admire that in a plant, or in a person, for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment