Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Frog Hollow


Day 336: Here is a visual puzzle for my readers. How many tiny little 3/4" long Cascades frogs can you find in this picture?

After catching a limit of silvers from Riffe Lake fishing bridge today (nothing worth writing home about), I decided to take a walk up to Goat Creek, thinking I might be able to catch these little fellows swarming on the moist bank as they frequently do. As I started to make my way along a trodden path through the tall grass, the ground came alive with little dark flecks racing out of harm's way. I checked up short lest I step on somebody, and then proceeded with caution. Every time I came to a piece of old and rotting wood, the "bark" would suddenly disperse, dozens at a time. When I first came upon this cluster, not a fleck of the moss could be seen beneath the pile of froglets. Only a few stayed behind for the photo. How many? Answer: at least 13. Look carefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment