Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Froggy Friends


Day 329: The tiny little Cascades Frogs (Rana cascadae) were out in droves along the water's edge at Riffe Lake this morning. When I stepped from the concrete boat ramp onto the moist sand, the vibration generated by my footfall set them into action. Dozens scampered across the ground while others climbed quickly onto rocks and stumps. Not to miss a photo op when it's handed to me, I quickly zoomed in on this little fellow but didn't realize there was a second climber behind him until I uploaded the photo into the computer.

The Cascades Frog is arguably western Washington's most common frog. They prefer a habitat close to still water, but may also be found near streams occasionally. I have seen them in the meadows surrounding alpine tarns at elevations approaching 6000', although these were spotted at Riffe Lake near Glenoma, WA.

No comments:

Post a Comment