Friday, September 23, 2011

Upon Closer Study


Day 345: This old microscope is not a tool I use often, perhaps only one or two times each year. I've had it "since forever," as they say. It replaced a smaller and less powerful model I owned while still a young girl. I would often sit o'nights in my attic bedroom, pretending to be Marie Curie or Louis Pasteur on the edge of discovery, the only light shining in the mirror the flame of a candle in keeping with the mood. I was keenly interested in geology at the time, so many of the specimens I examined were crystal fragments, plates of mica or even insects trapped in amber. I learned about grain and fracture peering through the monocular eyepiece as I moved slides across the table.

The current model sees a variety of more mundane applications, but the fascination of the microscopic realm still occasionally compels me to explore pollen grains, feathers and even the occasional bug, always curious and ever wanting to learn something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment