Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Carpe Diem, Carpe Carpem


Day 33: I had an appointment in Yelm this morning, so left early in order to spend some time at my favorite duck pond in Cochrane Park. Once previously, I'd encountered a Great Blue Heron there, perched on the rail surrounding a small observation platform. Fishermen come here as well to try their skill at catching the grass carp which have been planted in the pond to control weed growth. The regulations specify "catch and release only," but Mr. Heron doesn't abide by the rules.

This morning, he was intent on breakfast. From the far side of the pond, I took several photos and saw him make one dive into the water, emerging fishless and returning to his position on the corner of the dock railing. I walked slowly around the pond, hoping to get a better view before he flew off. I needn't have worried! Not only did he stay on watch for a hapless fish, he kept his back to me as if he didn't know I was there. I took this photo from about ten feet away. Even when I spoke to him, he only turned his head long enough to give me the woolly eyeball and then resumed his breakfast vigil.

No comments:

Post a Comment