Friday, December 16, 2011

I Can Has Bokeh!


Day 64 (bonus edition): Today, I bought a string of colored lights as a motivation for improving my woefully poor skills at bokeh. After dinner, I got the set-up in place: lights hanging across the vanity mirror on the far end of the room from the Christmas tree, tripod stationed next to the tree, table with the lighted ornament at approximately a third of the distance from camera to the string of lights, a 20-watt halogen off to its right to bring out the snowflakes on the glass. After several revisions to the bouquet of bokeh, I was ready. With one hand on the shutter button and the other blocking an unwanted hot spot on one of the glass tree's branches, I then began trying to capture a specific phase of color as the light in the globe cycled from blue through gold. Only in the late shift from blue to magenta are the bump "ornaments" visible as red dots on the boughs. This was definitely a case of trying to achieve several things at once, and finally I am happy with a bokeh creation of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment