Saturday, January 21, 2012

Always Eat Your Peas First


Day 100: As a child, I despised peas, loathed peas, hated peas, and like most children, I would push them to the back of my plate in the hopes of using the excuse that I was too full after eating the rest of my dinner to avoid having to consume the dreaded peas. No parent was ever fooled by that statement, so my mother tried appealing to my logical side. "If you eat your peas first, then you can rinse the taste out of your mouth with something you like." In that way, we reached something of a compromise. As long as I ate a small serving of peas, she was satisfied, and I had to admit that her solution worked.

In later years, the phrase "Always eat your peas first" took on another meaning in my family: do the task you least want to do first and save the more enjoyable ones for dessert. It became a life philosophy which has guided me to this day. That said, I still hate peas.

No comments:

Post a Comment