Saturday, January 7, 2012

Persephone's Return


Day 86: For me, nothing signifies Persephone's return to Earth more than pussywillows. To that end, I've mapped out a couple of spots where I know they bloom early, following the logic that once I've seen them, Spring is surely beginning. I noticed them at Spot #1 a week ago. Unless I parked in the homeowner's driveway, I'd have to walk half a mile on a narrow but busy road in order to be in position for a photo. Since I have no desire to end up as a statistic, I prefer Spot #2 although it too carries its own hazards.

At a bend in a rural road, the bush is in someone's yard and the nearest neighbors are rather far away. Parked at the bend, standing outside my car with the camera in hand, it would appear to anyone in the house that I was taking a picture of their home which, incidentally, is protected by a large and unfriendly dog. Two years in a row now, I've photographed their pussywillows and have been fortunate in that no one was at home, or at least not in a mood to challenge me for taking pictures of the scenery. All things considered, I sometimes wonder if it would be safer to pace the fog line to reach Spot #1.

No comments:

Post a Comment