Monday, January 16, 2012

Snow Song


Day 95: While I waited for a new modem to arrive, I began to appreciate just how much I've come to rely on the internet for keeping in contact with the outside world. One of the most notable instances occurring in the last few days was the frustrating lack of a "spot" weather forecast for my area. The only station I could pull in on the WeatheRadio was based in Olympia, and when it began talking about sea-level snow, I knew I was in for a siege.

The first wave has left twenty inches in the yard as of this writing, and another fifteen is expected in the next 36 hours. The road is clear and my driveway is plowed (thank you, Clyde!), but my morning was spent sweeping off the flat portion of the roof and making a pathway to the bird feeders.

The little ones are expectant, gathering in a flock which has no bearing on species; towhees, sparrows and juncos mingling together in search of food. Occasionally, a squabble will erupt between two territorial male juncos, but no rivalries have erupted otherwise. Feed is in plentiful supply. Wish I could say the same for my stock of milk and taco chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment