Monday, February 27, 2012

Pine Siskin, Carduelis Pinus


Day 137 (bonus edition): Sometimes in wildlife and/or bird photography, you get lucky. So it was today as I was standing on the back porch taking pictures of the Pine Siskins who returned a few days ago with the Evening Grosbeaks.

Until last summer, these small birds had been absent from my feeders for a number of years. Articles in birding magazines and National Wildlife indicated that the species was in decline overall. When they reappeared here, they came in droves and when their season ended, I wondered if I'd ever see them again. I need not have worried. Perhaps encouraged by memories of an endless supply of nyger seed, they're back in force.

As for that lucky shot I spoke of earlier, I kept hoping the bird in the foreground would turn to face me without shifting position so that the patterning on her wings would be evident. The feeder was swinging slightly, knocked about by other birds landing or leaving. I didn't think I'd get a good, crisp capture, not with so many factors at work. My little Siskin friend seemed to realize I wanted her to pose and turned her head to meet the lens' big round eye. Click! Extra nyger for you, sweetie!

No comments:

Post a Comment