Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sky Geometry


Day 115: While visiting my fishing buddy today, I happened to glance up through one of his living-room skylights and thought it would make an interesting shot for the Kelly DeLay's Clouds365 Project in which I've been participating for the last three years. With the camera pointed upward and the flip screen tilted at an odd angle, I attempted to frame the sky within the geometry of the window, maintaining uniformity in the borders surrounding the blue. I quickly discovered it wasn't going to be as easy as I thought! As I moved the camera in the direction I felt it should go, the square distorted and the surrounding white space went all out of balance due to the fact that the skylight is set in a pitched roof. After several unsuccessful and amusing attempts to align the image the way I wanted, I gave up and laid on my back beneath the hole. I couldn't help thinking of "2001: A Space Odyssey" or a door into an alternate reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment