Monday, April 2, 2012

The Black Blade


Day 172: She be called the Black Blade, mister, though some owns she was borned to the name o' Crow, or mayhap begat by one and I'll not be after speculatin'. On them rare days as she puts into port, best be hidin' the rum. Gets a might cranky, she does, when there's no piratin' to be done and only stores to be laid by between raids. They says oncet she captained a crew o' twenty, druv 'em like beasts beneath the cat 'til the lot of 'em mutinied and marooned her ladyship on an island full o' savages. 'Tweren't the last they saw of her, more's the pity. She turned the tides on the cannibals, boiled 'em 'til they was bare o' flesh, then lashed they bones together for a raft and made her way back home again wi' naught but her blade for a paddle. As for her crew, 'tis not a man Jack o' them alive today, so hard was her fury. Be ye not sayin' a word ag'in her, as she's kind to them wot needs it, widders and orphans an' all, but cross her not, or she'll be after press-gangin' ye to serve beneath the lash, ten years afore the mast and there's the truth o' it. Savvy?

Okay, I have to admit I've overdosed on Johnny Depp. How could I possibly have gone this many years without seeing "Pirates of the Caribbean?"

4 comments:

  1. Geez, you did it well. Consistent and true to form (or at least as we imagine). Well written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The Black Blade's identical twin sister has appeared in my blog before. Meet the Dread Pirate Corbye here...
      http://365caws.blogspot.com/2011/09/dread-pirate-corbye.html

      Delete
  2. That one is also good. I assume you have a good ear and you've watched a lot of pirate movies. Or did you have to work at it? It's very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words have always been my favorite toys. I tend to pick up linguistic styles and dialects rather readily which, as a writer, is a good tool to have at hand. I don't really recall watching many pirate movies even as a child, but I did read adventure books. In hindsight, I think it was the language which appealed to me, moreso than the plots. I love Charles Dickens.

      Delete