Saturday, April 14, 2012

Erodium Cicutarium, Red-Stemmed Filaree


Day 184: I went back over to Lake Scanewa today in the hopes of getting photos of chickadees because there had been quite a few of them in the area a few days ago. I even packed a bag of seed with me, thinking I might at least be able to entice one to land on the ground. As wee Rabbie Burns once said, "The best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley," and so mine did. There was not a chickadee to be seen, period. I did have Alternate Plan B in the bag. Day before yesterday, I'd taken some photos of Red-Stemmed Filaree but already had made two posts, so put them aside. Today, I reshot the plant.

Erodium cicutarium (Filaree or Storksbill) is a non-native species which prefers sandy, disturbed soil. It is quite common on the shingle above the public swimming area at Scanewa, but does not seem to be invading other areas. It grows from a basal rosette of bluish green fern-like leaves. The blossoms are marked by a small darker purple star. And like "chickadee," at least it ends with a pair of e's. Small consolation, that.

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty versed in wildflowers, but never have heard of this one. Such a pretty little thing & good pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've only seen it at this one spot, although it may be more prevalent in the lowlands. I think the seeds may have come in with a load of sand when they were building the swimming area.

      Delete