Thursday, April 19, 2012

Mr. Rufous H. Bird


Day 189: Elusive little stinker that he is, Mr. Rufous H. Bird sat still long enough for me to get him in the metaphorical bag this morning. Not his best side, so you don't get to see the metallic red sheen of his throat, but you are welcome to admire the rusty-red color which gives him his name, and from this angle, you can see the fan of his cheek feathers as it projects back over his shoulders.

Selasphorus rufus is the only hummer I've had visit my feeders, although other species have been reported in the area. I have no shortage of these little jewels this year! They've arrived in numbers which surpass the peak of last summer.

The female of the species can be seen in a Profile Of A Hummingbird.

2 comments:

  1. Your photography is exquisite! You must spend hours each day with your camera in hand..... If you are seeing more hummers this year, maybe we will too. As I said before, we don't get the rufous until fall when they are on their return trip home to wherever. But we should be getting our first black-chin soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do indeed! The only time the camera isn't around my neck is when I'm indoors, and then it's always close at hand. I call it "The Albatross." :LOL:

      Delete