Monday, April 30, 2012

Root


Day 200: Riffe Lake is an enormous reservoir formed when a hydroelectric dam was placed in the Cowlitz River. As such, its level is subject to the whims of water managers who have to strike a balance between flood rains, power production, recreational use and several other factors. Currently, the height of the lake is at mid-range, exposing a few of the remnants of the forests which once lined the slopes of the river valley. At the new public boat launch, the shingle was exposed to a point that I could go exploring without having to fight tall grass and hidden masses of driftwood, and it was on that shingle that I spotted this strange creature, seemingly making its way down to the shore. Whether it was simply searching for a drink or pursuing some lemming-like urge to return to the environment of its forebears, I do not know, but its purposeful ignorance of my footfalls left me feeling that it had some specific design.

No comments:

Post a Comment