Monday, May 28, 2012

Arctic Skipper, Carterocephalus Palaemon


Day 228 (special edition): My general rule for 365 Caws is that my post photos should be taken on the day of the post. I always post at least one "by the rules," but occasionally I have to make an exception for something I think is noteworthy or otherwise interesting. Such was the case for this photo. I've been waiting for a confirmation of identification from the experts at BugGuide.net and today, these two photos were moved into their main database.

Arctic Skipper is a colorful but rather tiny fellow measuring approximately 5/8" from wingtip to wingtip. To gain a greater appreciation for his size, please observe that he is perched on a chive blossom. He was quite intent on exploring it in preference to any other available flower, only once flying off to investigate a columbine and then returning.

No comments:

Post a Comment