Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Protected Species


Day 229: This photo is dedicated to those of you who have been following the story of the Calypso Orchids in the Longmire Volunteer campground from the time of their first budding through the moment when the blossoms began to open to the final, glorious flowering of both color variations. This morning, I was given a roll of caution tape and permission to mark off the areas where this delicate species abounds. It was a happy time for me, even moreso because in my campaign to protect the Calypsos, I made the acquaintance of one of the Park planners. He was present today as I taped off two zones of protection with two more to come, applauding my determination on behalf of these sensitive plants. It made me feel good to know that my voice, quite literally in the wilderness, had been heard.

2 comments:

  1. We never know what impact our one voice will make.....ya gotter done! Great effort & super nice picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have two more spots to tape off, and they won't have to stay taped after the flowers drop because the leaves aren't as sensitive to minor damage. That said, I'm going to keep at this in the hopes of getting a little better and more permanent protection than a strip of tape.

      Delete