Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Scilla, Common Bluebells


Day 215: Scilla is a somewhat overlooked flower in my garden except for those occasions when I say, "I thought I pulled all that stuff out of there, darn it!" and for that, I owe it an apology. You see, my mother insisted that it was invasive and difficult to get rid of in the way that lily-of-the-valley (although lovely) tends to take over flowerbeds given half a chance. I see Scilla and my first instinct is to go for a shovel. That is decidedly unfair to a lovely and reliable plant. I will say that my mother's attitude was justified to some degree. I've tried to uproot this particular clump half a dozen times or more, relocating all the bulbs to a spot where they could multiply to their heart's content. I must keep missing a few, because it returns faithfully every spring, its sweet blue bells rising above the lily-of-the-valley which has also failed to defeat its resilient nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment