Saturday, June 30, 2012

Force Of Bad Habit


Day 261: On or near the anniversary of my mother's birth, the Turk's Cap lilies come into bloo......

(blue pencil...backspace...delete)

...the Columbia Lilies come into bloom. They ranked second only to Skunk Cabbage among her favorite flowers, and I never see them without remembering her contribution to one of the more persistent bits of mis-learning in my life. You see, her father had lived in the Midwest where the redder true Turk's Caps grow. When he came out West, the nomenclature came with him and was applied to our native "tiger lily." He called them "Turk's Caps," not knowing any better, and my mother picked up the erroneous taxonomy as a matter of course. In turn, she instilled it in me at an early age. I was in my 20s before I found out that "Turk's Caps" were in fact Columbia Lilies (Lilium columbianum), and thus I began trying to retrain myself from the ingrained misidentification.

Nowadays, if I am approached by someone asking for an identification of the "tiger lily" growing on the roadside, I do not hesitate in the slightest with my answer: Columbia Lily. It is only when I am remembering my mother that I slip and say, "Oh, the Turk's Caps are in bloom."

4 comments:

  1. OH, SO REFRESHING TO SEE THESE PICTURED HERE......I have seen them once blooming alongside the road and it was SCREECH!!!! COME TO A STOP!!! DID I JUST SEE WHAT I THINK I SEE? Thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked my "Peterson Field Guide to Rocky Mountain Wildflowers" and yes, you could be seeing Columbia Lilies in your area. I was a little surprised...I have always thought of them as a PNW species.

      Delete
    2. Actually when I saw the lilies was when we were traveling the coast of Calif, etc.......somewhere near the Redwoods I think.......no Columbia lilies in Utah as far as I know......one that also is a pants-dropper is the RED LILY! Only have seen them twice in life.....once Montana & the other time can't remember......oh wow!

      Delete
    3. The Peterson Guide says they occur as far south as New Mexico, but only in the western portions. I was surprised to know they went that far south. California doesn't surprise me as much, particularly if they were up around Redwoods. And yes, I noticed the Red Lily in the field guide. Wow, that would be a stunner!

      Delete