Monday, July 23, 2012

Avalanche Lilies, Erythronium Montanum


Day 284 (Part A): Since I needed to turn in my photos for the dam project today, I grabbed my pack as I headed out the door with the thought that maybe I'd take a short hike to find something for my daily "blog shot." I really had no idea where I wanted to go other than up, so when I reached the trail to Bench and Snow Lakes and saw the Avalanche Lilies in bloom, I said, "Good as anyplace," and off I went. In the first quarter mile, they were lush, but beyond that, they were sparse or nonexistent. I took this photo on the way back down. Avalanche Lilies are a common sight in Mount Rainier National Park, blooming just shortly after the snow recedes. Glacier Lilies (a yellow cousin) are less common in the Park, but grow in the same type of habitat.

2 comments:

  1. I want some of those over here!!! Such beauties! The GLACIER lilies are 2nd of my all-tme favs (shooting star first) In fact, often people will call the Glacier lilies Avalanche lilies, but now I know the difference thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's an easy way to remember which is which: a snow avalanche is always white. Glacial ice is darker. And when you see a whole hillside of these, it really does look like it's covered in snow.

      Delete