Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pine Siskin - The Movie


Day 278: Yesterday, my yard was oddly devoid of birds of any type. I saw a handful of Evening Grosbeaks, a few Goldfinches, a couple of hummers, my regular population of swallows and a few assorted sparrows and finches, but not a single Pine Siskin was in evidence. I wondered if perhaps the flock had flown, and if so, whether or not my little friend had gone with them. Today, the lot were back in full force, even bringing with them the first Vesper Sparrow I have ever knowingly seen on my property.

It wasn't too long before I noticed someone hunkering down low at the gazebo feeder, working diligently to pull black-oil seed through the narrow gaps at the base. Yes, my little friend was back, so I decided to see if he would be willing to contract for "Pine Siskin - The Movie." With the camera in one hand, I tried to rotate the gazebo toward the sun so my subject would be in better light, but as I stabilized the base, he methodically made a circuit of the ports, stopping to grab a bite at each one as he went 'round and back into the shadow of the tree. Rather than disturb him at his lunch, I settled for documenting his dining habits. My, that child has an appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment