Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge


Day 329: Early this morning, I met with members of the Nisqually Land Trust at the Ohop Valley property where I serve as a Site Steward. It was a casual meeting, just a "getting to know you" get-together, and when I mentioned that I had business to attend to in Olympia, a visit to the main office was suggested. Because I had thought the main office was in an entirely different city, I asked for directions. "Go down to the Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge...you know where that is, right? The office is in their maintenance area." It sounded like a good idea, so I agreed.

A word of explanation: the National Wildlife Area and the Land Trust are unrelated, other than by the fact that they both are agencies protecting the Nisqually River and its watershed. The Land Trust is a small operation. The Wildlife Refuge is more on the lines of a National Park. As much as it pains me to admit it, for the number of years I lived in close proximity to the Refuge, I never once visited it. One thing leads to another, and my stop at the Land Trust's office was brief. A few minutes later, I was on my way out to the end of the boardwalk, a "trail" which extends two miles into the tidal estuary. It is an amazing piece of engineering, to say the least.

My trips to saltwater have been few and far between, and another completely different ecology exists in that environment. Within the first hundred feet of my walk, I'd discovered a wildflower I'd never seen before, growing quite profusely. Cape Jewelweed (Impatiens capensis, top image) is a wetland plant native to the Olympics.

Continuing through the short forested section of the boardwalk trail, I was paying keen attention to the descriptions of Warblers on the interpretive signs. I figured a Warbler sighting would ice the cake! I knew to expect Red-Winged Blackbirds, Bald Eagles, Great Blue Herons, a variety of sea birds, sparrows, finches and so on, but there was also a good chance of spotting a Yellow or Wilson's Warbler if I kept my eyes peeled.

The planked portion of the trail stopped at the end of the forest and turned into a gravel path which cut across the estuary for half a mile. There, the boardwalk began again and continued for a mile across the tide flat. The tide was out, so I got to see a Heron and a collection of Seagulls browsing for sandworms, barnacles and other "seafood" treats. When I reached the observation platform at the end of the boardwalk, several women were watching Bald Eagles in the distance. They left when the Eagles flew, and I turned my attention to another wildflower. The bottom image shows Puget Sound Gumweed (Grindelia integrifolia).

On the way back along the boardwalk, I sighted my Warbler sitting near the top of a scrubby dead tree in the tide flat. As I maneuvered into the proper position for the light, two CROWS flew over and settled just below if, one on a branch on the left and the other to the Warbler's right. Warbler was having none of that, and took off before I could get zoomed in far enough to check for a black patch on its head. I'll never know what type of bird it was, because two of my best friends decided to play a little joke on me. I couldn't help but laugh, and gently scolded them for being a couple of stinkers. And never fear, I will be returning to this beautiful place in other seasons. I can tell there are many wonderful birdwatching opportunities for someone whose Life List is rather short on "beachy" species.

No comments:

Post a Comment