Friday, August 10, 2012

Picnic Chicks


Day 311 (Part Two): My friend and sister-of-my-heart Patty is an excellent cook, so good that she really can't comprehend what it means when someone says, "I hate to cook." Nevertheless, she can always be counted on to come up with a recipe guaranteed to work, even when you hate to cook as much as I do.

Tomorrow, Mount Rainier National Park's Volunteers are getting together for their annual potluck picnic. I was discussing the fact with Patty, thinking I'd probably make a carrot cake and fancy it up with some cream cheese frosting, a process which is way more work than I normally put into something which is just going to be eaten. Out of the blue, I got an email from Patty with a photo of the most adorable little devilled-egg chicks I'd ever seen. I responded that "those would be fun to take to the picnic" (not really meaning that I wanted to MAKE them, y'see) and the next thing I knew, she'd sent me two more versions. I said to self, "Patty wouldn't send me anything that was TOO hard to make 'cuz she knows I hate to cook. I think I'm gonna do these."

Well, I bought all the bits and pieces...carrots, capers...boiled eggs last night, and at 3:30 this afternoon, I started building chicks. Three hours later, I had twenty-two cute little fellers, each of whom...oh, unthinkable thought!...will be devoured in under a minute.

1 comment:

  1. Those are so cute! It is terrible to think how quickly they'll be consumed, but I bet they'll be delicious!

    ReplyDelete