Sunday, September 30, 2012

Ahead Of The Jays


Day 362: We have had at least half a dozen light frosts here in the last two weeks, so it was time for me to start taste-testing the grapes. Almost without exception, this ritual is pointless; I decide the grapes need a few more days on the vine, and the jays clean me out just before I go out to pick. This year, I seem to have gotten the jump on them, at least to some extent. While the lower bunches are still tart and hard, a few of the higher ones are sweet and tasty. The clusters of this variety are small and loosely formed and the fruits are also small, but may be used for wine as well as being very good on the table. While I wouldn't begrudge my jays a meal or two at my expense, it's nice when they allow me to share in the bounty.

No comments:

Post a Comment