Thursday, September 20, 2012

Real, Alive And On My Hand


Day 352: I kinda forgot to ask this guy's name...something along the lines of Giant Black Scorpion, I believe. My hand is across the descriptive text, so no hope there. With Mr. S's owner standing close by, I manipulated the camera with my other hand while leaning on the display case in the Puyallup Fair's Rainforest Exhibit, only a little apprehensive that he might take a sudden dislike to me. None of the other onlookers seemed the least bit interested in sharing the experience, so after a few minutes, Mr. S. was returned to his keeper's care. Fortunately, the tarantula handler was out to lunch. I'm not sure I have that much bravery in me.
Footnote: Careful analysis of what little text is visible shows "...ror Scorpion" below the rear leg. That was my clue to this chap's identity. He is an Emperor Scorpion, Pandinus imperator, and his sting is categorized as "mild to severe in sensitive individuals." I'm usually one of those "sensitive individuals."

No comments:

Post a Comment