Thursday, November 29, 2012

Scrumptious Black Bean Salad



Day 58: I have always been at a loss to figure out what to take to potlucks because I am a notoriously lazy cook except when it comes to baking. My idea of the perfect dinner requires one pot and five minutes of preparation time, and should feed you for at least three days, thereby eliminating the need to cook on more than three occasions per week. My potluck contributions tend to be such things as cookies, cupcakes or a sauerkraut salad which I love but no one else seems to want to try. Such being the case, I'm always on the lookout for alternatives, and discovered this one at a geocaching event at the end of the summer. I have since seen several variations of it and indeed, I've dressed up the original a little to suit my own tastes. I will be taking it to a "salad potluck" tonight (pizzas provided by the hosts), the occasion honoring our new Chief of Interpretation at Mount Rainier National Park, Ingrid Nixon (formerly of Denali).

A taste for cilantro is a must to properly enjoy this salad. Adjust the other spices according to your personal preferences.

2 15-ounce cans of small black beans, drained and rinsed
1 11-ounce can of Mexicorn
1 medium avocado, peeled and diced
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
4-5 green onions, sliced
1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
1 heaping tsp. minced garlic
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp. ground cumin
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup lime juice
salt to taste

Combine vegetables in a large bowl, sprinkle with spices, add olive oil and lime juice and mix well. Add salt to taste. May be served immediately, but the salad holds well in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.

If you cannot find Mexicorn (a Green Giant product), you may use any canned or frozen corn plus a small amount of diced bell peppers (red and/or green).

This delicious salad has now become my favorite contribution to any potluck! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment