Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Amaryllis Fantasy


Day 70: This image came about as a result of an enjoyment of floral monochromes coupled with an irresistible urge to play with effects and a complete inability to choose a preference for one over the other. "What the heck," I said, "let's use 'em both!"

Every year, I buy myself an Amaryllis bulb as soon as I see them on the store shelves. My preference is for the candy-striped varieties, but every now and then, I diverge and go for solid red instead. One year, I bought a rather expensive one which was supposed to be a rich maroon, but the flower was somewhat disappointing.

I potted the bulb about four weeks ago and the stalk was already beginning to develop. It quickly shot up six inches and then gradually crept up to its present three-foot height, another smaller flower stalk beside it. At this point, the leaves are only six inches long and I think I'll have full enjoyment of the blossoms before they have a chance to go all strappy and sprawl out of the supports. Two of the blossoms are open this morning and a third is in bud. Color is just beginning to show on the second head.

Easy to grow, Amaryllis are a little difficult to bring into bloom a second year. I've had a fairly good success rate, although the flowers tend to be less showy. I think I'll just get a new one next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment