Thursday, December 6, 2012

Microbial Necklaces



Day 65: My late husband was an excellent "hobbyist" goldsmith and faceter of precious gems. His hands were large and you might have thought he would be too clumsy to effect the delicate details he turned out so easily, and I envied him. My hands are small, dainty if rather coarse, and although I do fine needlework, when it came to making jewelry, my silversmithed pieces looked as if they'd been crafted by a third-grader. I cut cabochons because I was a rockhound, but Bruce...Bruce was an artist. Eventually, I found a medium which allowed me to create things I wasn't ashamed to give as gifts: beadwork.

Most of my beading falls into the category of needlework rather than jewelry manufacture. I love working with tiny seed beads and complex stitches. Still, when the gifting season arrives, I turn to making more traditional necklaces and bracelets for the friends who enjoy them. They may not be as elegant as the pieces Bruce created, but I think they'll brighten someone's Christmas morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment