Monday, December 17, 2012

Three Stones


Day 76: Another day of playing with my Christmas macro filters, and again, I've used the 4x magnification for this shot. I am amazed how much "closer" I can get with them, very pleased with the lack of distortion at the edges. That said, I applied some heavy-handed post-processing here to get the "glamour" effect I wanted, finishing off with an "inner glow" layer effect to pull the attention directly to the rings.

Oh, you're curious about the jewelry, eh? My late husband was a skilled faceter and goldsmith and although he had a "day job," he also had a regular clientele for his work and expanded his hobby into a small sideline business. He often created pieces for me, even knowing that I had little occasion to wear them. Christmas and birthday nearly always turned up some exquisite piece of jewelry which he had made entirely by hand.

The large ring on the left is synthetic quartz set in sterling. The center piece is an andradite garnet mounted in 14 karat yellow gold. The ring on the right is my favorite: a 1.33 carat Montana sapphire in a Tiffany setting of 18 karat white gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment