Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Notions


Day 98: My hands are so small that it is very difficult to find a thimble to fit, and although I generally prefer to hand-stitch while wearing a leather one (even harder to find in my size), I keep a couple of metal ones handy. It takes a bit of practice to learn to use a thimble. In fact, most peoples' tendency is to hold the finger wearing the thimble out of the way at first, but once you have mastered the art of using one, you'll never have to worry about driving the eye of the needle into your hand. The point is another matter, and many's the time I've sewn myself to a piece of fabric by picking up a thin layer of skin, only to discover that I can't lay the fabric aside when I want to get up and go for a cup of coffee.

Every person who stitches by hand should keep a supply of various sizes and styles of needle in their sewing kit. Once again, it will take some practice to learn to use a curved needle, but this tool is particularly useful when stitching seams in heavy materials such as canvas. Likewise, a three-sided sailmaker's needle will pierce leather when a standard needle would bind.

I have a notion that your sewing tasks will be much easier if you use the proper tool for the job!

No comments:

Post a Comment