Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Swirly Things


Day 91: My two "sisters of the heart" managed a meet-up last fall in Portsmouth NH and went on a shopping trip, thinking of gifts for Christmas and other occasions. They stopped at a store which sold marbles on a "you-pick-'em" basis (individually) and shared a chuckle over "great minds think alike" as each of them selected ones they knew I'd enjoy. These arrived yesterday in honor of my birthday.

It isn't obvious in this photo, but the two farthest back are the biggest doggone shooters I have ever seen. They're enormous at a full inch and a quarter in diameter! The foreground swirlies are standard shooter size and the cat's-eye slightly smaller.

When I was little, I kept my marble collection in a fruitcake tin and loved to arrange a line of my favorite "jewels" in the recess at the edge of the lid. I would tilt the lid to set them spinning, absolutely entranced by the ever-changing "light show" created by the colors. The sound drove my mother bananas! She'd put up with it for only so long and then would try to sidetrack me onto another project. It seldom worked for long!

Every now and then, I pour my present stockpile out on the floor and search out favorites. White swirlies rank very high on the list! Thanks, Patty!

No comments:

Post a Comment