Friday, February 1, 2013

Vegscape With Crow


Day 122: Put away that desktop Zen garden and try some vegscaping! Ever since I saw my first diorama created with garden veggies as landscaping items, I have wanted to make one of my own. The problem is that our little country grocer doesn't carry the wide variety of leafy greens which you might find in larger urban stores, so my choices were rather limited. Celery and parsley stand in for background shrubbery here (the cilantro should have been removed from the shelf several days ago), with broccoli bushes growing among red potato boulders. The crow is perched on a mushroom. The marsh plants surrounding the pond are the ends of little green onions (scallions). The fence was the most fun to build. Both posts and rails are made of carrot, "nailed" together with bits of toothpick. I had intended for there to be water in the pond, but somehow I must have broken through the foil. It leaked out into the sand as soon as I filled it! Fortunately, I had a protective sheet under the diorama just in case that very thing occurred.

Art is not necessarily about creating something enduring. It is about the creative process. Let your imagination run wild the next time you're at the grocer's, and think about doing some vegscaping of your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment